Monday, June 14, 2010

Back from Tech-ED and I have OData Fever!

The title sums it up.  I am in the middle of an OData fit.  In my free time I am working on compiling baseball statistics from the Baseball Databank and Retrosheet sites to create one stats database that is available using OData.  I’m not sure how long it will take but I will have it up some time in the future.

What is OData?!

“The Open Data Protocol (OData) is a Web protocol for querying and updating data that provides a way to unlock your data and free it from silos that exist in applications today.” – taken from OData.org 

Serving data up this way frees us developers from some of the headache of cross platform data access (well at least those of us who primarily write for the windows platforms).  There are already quite a few client libraries out there to consume OData (PHP, Java, etc..).

I may have a few blog entries about OData and how to set it up on the server and client sides.  I still haven’t really thought it through all the way quite yet.

Why should I care about your fever?

If you are a baseball fan you will have access to historical data free of charge ready to use for whatever you can dream up.  In addition to the feed I plan on having a small app or two to demonstrate how to use the data and/or to query the data.

If you aren’t a baseball fan but are curious about OData then you may want to check back periodically to check my status.  I’m sure as I run into issues and/or figure things out I’ll blog about them.

Now if I could only find a few more hours to put into my day I could get this all done quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment